Raquel Cumba, PhD. is a bilingual (Spanish/English) child, adolescent, and adult clinical psychologist who provides assessment and treatment of variety of difficulties with a specialization in anxiety, depression, and related behavioral disorders.
Dr. Cumba has extensive training in treating social anxiety disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, specific phobias, selective mutism, separation anxiety disorder, panic attacks, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and depression. She is committed to restoring strength and resilience in individuals and families by engaging in a warm and collaborative treatment plan. She is skilled in providing high quality evidence-based interventions such as:
- Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Exposure with Response Prevention (ERP)
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT)
- Interpersonal Psychotherapy for Adolescents (IPT-A)
Dr. Cumba received her doctoral degree from The Catholic University of America (CUA) with a specialization in Children, Families, and Cultures. She completed her internship and postdoctoral fellowship at Children’s Hospital of New York-Presbyterian/Columbia University Medical Center (CHONY/CUMC). During her training at CHONY/CUMC, she worked in the Disruptive Behavior Disorders Clinic, School Based Mental Health Program, and Tourette, Tics, and Related Disorders Clinic. For the duration of the two years, she continued to pursue her specialty and passion within the Children’s Anxiety and Depression Clinic. Finally, she also completed a postdoctoral fellowship at Child Mind Institute within the Anxiety and Mood Disorders Program and Selective Mutism Program.
Education & Experience:
- PhD, The Catholic University of America, specialization: Children, Families, and Culture. Dissertation: Anxiety disorders, sleep problems, and functional impairment
- MA, The Catholic University of America. Studied implications of physical and mental well-being in migrant Head Start parents
- Postbaccalaureate Intramural Research Training Award, Mood and Anxiety Disorders Program, National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH)
- BA, University of Maryland, Scholars Program: Science, Technology, and Society
More About Dr. Cumba:
- Thinks any day on the beach is a great day!
- Loves art in all its forms - paintings, movies, street art - and is eager to get back into a pottery class again
- Having grown up in Maryland, believes fries are meant to be sprinkled with Old Bay