Joe DePaola, MS, NP-P, PMHNP-BC, is an ANCC Board Certified Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner, with experience in providing treatment for a wide variety of mental health concerns including mood and anxiety disorders, ADHD, PTSD, and personality difficulties. Joe offers services that include both psychotherapy and/or medication management.
Prior to joining Union Square Practice, Joe spent four years at a community health center treating underserved and at-risk patients struggling with homelessness, HIV, substance abuse, and a wide range of severe and persistent mental illnesses. Joe’s prior role also allowed him to care for transgender patients in various stages of their gender transitions.
Joe believes in the power of building a strong therapeutic relationship with each of his clients and provides a safe and supportive environment grounded on empathy and trust. He incorporates his diverse psychiatric background and knowledge into a holistic approach that is tailored to each client’s individual needs.
Education and Experience:
- Master of Science in Nursing from New York University, specializing in psychiatry
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing from Northeastern University
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology from Connecticut College
- Clinical preceptor for NYU Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner Program
- Previously worked as a registered nurse on acute inpatient psychiatric units at Harvard University’s McLean Hospital in Boston, MA and New York Presbyterian-Columbia University Medical Center here in New York
- Conducted clinical research at McLean Hospital, studying the genetics of acute psychiatric disorders
More About Joe:
- Joe started playing ice hockey at the age of 5 and hasn’t stopped since
- Joe worked in financial consulting for six short months after undergrad before realizing the importance of following his passion for mental health